Regrettably, I didn’t make a lot of progress during June. Over 3 weeks were spent on fixing a bug (or, as it turned out along the way, several bugs) that caused either the player ship, the enemy ship or both to seemingly not move smoothly/stutter during combat.
When plotting out the movement over time, everything was looking smooth as can be. That’s why I relatively quickly realized the problem had to be related to the camera, which turned out to be true.
I won’t go too much into details here but it had to do with the fact that different things in Unity are moved at different times (things controlled by the physics engine e.g. update their position at a different time than things controlled by Unity’s path finding/navigation system) and also at what points in time the camera was moved.
Normally, I don’t care too much for visual glitches at this time but I had a feeling that this could heavily impact core code components that determine how and when I move objects and I felt that such a fundamental design decision should be corrected as soon as possible.
In the remaining week, I didn’t have enough time left to finish something new I could present.
Admittedly, I felt a fair bit of frustration after spending 3 summer weekends just to get back to where I was before. That certainly doesn’t help with motivation but you’ve got to take the bad with the good and there’s always next month!